I’m a big fan of chocolate, peanut butter, and oatmeal, but during the summer a big bowl of oatmeal doesn’t always hit the spot. I still crave it though, so through the years I’ve come up with some recipes to get that heart healthy oatmeal in without sitting down to a steaming bowl when it’s 90`F outside.
One of my favorite recipes is for peanut butter- chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies. This recipe is also very kid friendly, and it’s wheat-free. My son loves to munch on these for an afternoon snack. They’re healthier than many cookies, although they do contain some sweetener in the form of honey. I still feel better about my son eating these than I do pre-packaged cookies. They’re made with whole foods, nothing processed here!
This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies, so I usually freeze a dozen or so to eat later, otherwise my family will gobble them all down in a few days. Plus I think they’re super yummy frozen during the summer, but I sometimes have odd taste buds!
This is definitely a denser cookie, and it doesn’t spread much when it bakes. They hold their shape, so if you want a little flatter cookie use the back of your spoon to flatten them a little before you bake.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup honey (or sugar if you prefer)
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups non hydrogenated peanut butter (I used chunky, but smooth would be great too)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (a little more if you’re a chocoholic like me)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 375`F.
2. Mix together the eggs, honey and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Stir in the oatmeal and peanut butter with a mixer, on low speed until all the ingredients are well blended.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Drop by rounded tablespoon fulls on an un-greased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 11 to 12 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy! They’re super yummy warm from the oven when the chocolate chips are still a little melty!
Maybe I’m missing something…but how much PB??
They do look good, though.
Laura~ No you didn’t miss the peanut butter, I did when I was typing it in from my notes. I even double checked and still missed it! I put it in now! Thanks!
How much peanut butter do you use?
Jen~ 1 1/2 cups
So going to make these this week with my kids, they look so yummy!
YUM!! All of my favorite cookie ingredients in one! :)Thanks for being one of my first “linker-uppers” for the new hop! I’m following you via GFC and FB! Hope to see you again next week for another Monkey Do Monday!
Just made these delicious cookies. Simple and fabulous! Thanks for the recipe.