I loved helping my mom bake cookies when I was growing up. One of my favorite holiday cookie recipes was the classic Snickerdoodle cookie. I always loved the texture and cinnamony flavor. I know cinnamony isn’t a word, but how else can I describe their deliciousness?
- 2¾ cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For rolling the cookies:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400`F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, butter, shortening and eggs in large bowl.
- Once they're well combined, stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Pinch off about a rounded teaspoon of dough at a time, and roll them into balls.
- Mix together the ¼ cup sugar and the cinnamon for rolling. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until the outside is coated with a layer of cinnamon and sugar.
- Place the cookie balls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet, then move them carefully to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
These cookies are perfect for fall parties, and right into the holidays! I love including snickerdoodle cookies in my holiday party trays, or even as a quick gift idea tied with a pretty ribbon and bundled in a cellophane bag. You can also combine snickerdoodles with other cookies in a fun cookie tin for a cookie swap, or an edible gift idea!
Here are a couple of my other holiday cookie favorites:
- Shortbread cookie recipe
- Peanut butter kiss cookie recipe
- Pumpkin cookie recipe with cream cheese icing
What’s your favorite cookie recipe?