I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer! To celebrate I made a patriotic red white and blue layer cake with a strawberry and blueberry flag on the top. This patriotic cake was a big hit, so I thought I’d share it here with the instructions so you can make your own flag cake this 4th of July.
Patriotic Red White and Blue Layer Cake
- 4 white cake mixes and ingredients to make white cakes
- 3 packs 8 oz cream cheese
- 12 cups powdered sugar
- 10-12 teaspoons of water
- red food color
- blue food color
- 1 small container of blueberries
- 10-12 strawberries
Patriotic Cake Directions:
- Mix up the first cake mix according to the package directions to make a white cake. Add in several drops of red food color to color the batter a bright red. Pour the batter into a 9×13 baking pan sprayed with flour-added cooking spray. Bake the cake according to the package directions.
- Repeat the process to bake a second red cake.
- Mix up the third cake according to package directions for a white cake. Add in several drops of royal blue food color. Pour the batter into a 9×13 baking pan sprayed with flour-added cooking spray. Bake the cake according to the package directions.
- Repeat the process to bake a second blue cake.
- While the cakes are baking and cooling, mix up the cream cheese icing in three separate batches. Use one 8 ounce package of cream cheese, 4 cups of powdered sugar and 3-4 teaspoons of water to each batch and mix until well blended.
- Once all the cakes have cooled level the tops with a serrated knife.
- Cover a sheet of cardboard about 10 by 14 inches with decorative cake foil.
- Spread a thin layer of icing onto the covered board, then place a blue cake on the board cut side down.
- Ice the top of the blue cake and place a red cake on top of it.
- Ice the top of the red cake and add a blue cake on top of that.
- Add the final layer of red cake to the top, then ice the whole cake with the remaining icing.
- Put 30-40 blueberries in the upper left-hand corner of the iced cake to make the corner of the flag.
- Slice the strawberries and add them in rows to the patriotic cake to make the flag cake’s red stripes.
Serve up your red, white and blue patriotic layer cake to your guests at your summer picnic or 4th of July celebration. This patriotic cake is fabulous on the outside, but even more spectacular once it’s cut!
Enjoy and have a fabulous 4th of July!
Looking for more 4th of July fun? Check out these Patriotic Cupcake Toppers.