I have a spring twist to share with you today on red velvet cake! Have you ever tried green velvet cupcakes? The recipe is very similar to red velvet, but instead of red food color you use green. I made some green velvet cupcakes this weekend in honor of St. Patrick’s Day! I topped them with cream cheese icing and green sprinkles. They looked very festive, and they were a big hit with my family, so I thought I’d share!
Green Velvet Cupcakes:
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons kelly green food color
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1-8 ounce package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup of butter (room temperature)
- 4 ¾ cup confectioner sugar
- 3-4 teaspoons of water
1. Preheat your oven to 350`F.
2.While the oven is heating mix up the green velvet cupcakes. Sift together the flour, baking soda and cocoa in a medium mixing bowl.
3. In a large bowl combine the butter, buttermilk, sugar, eggs, green food color, vinegar, and vanilla.
4. Add in the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, pouring slowly.
5. Beat the mixture with a hand mixer on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes until well combined.
6. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full with batter.
7. Bake the cupcakes for about 18 to 20 minutes.
8. Place the finished cupcakes on a cooling rack to cool. This recipe makes about 2 dozen cupcakes.
To make the Cream Cheese Icing:
1. Cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
2. Add the water and confectioner sugar slowly while you mix.
3. Blend until the icing will hold its shape. If the icing is too thin, add a little more confectioner sugar, or refrigerate it for a few minutes to chill it. If it is too stiff add a little more water, one teaspoon at a time.
4. Ice the cupcakes with a spatula, or use a round large decorating tip attached to a pastry bag to swirl the icing onto the cupcakes.
5. Top with green sprinkles and enjoy!
Looking for more yummy St. Patrick’s Day food ideas? Check out some of these: