We like to make crafts every year for Christmas. Many of them find their way onto Christmas gifts, but some of them we use to help add to the holiday spirit in our own home. This is one of my favorite Christmas crafts that I made with my son a few years ago. We actually made several and used them to hold our Christmas and holiday cards on a string across the fireplace mantle. It made a really fun display.
- Wood Clothespins (the clip type)
- String or twine
- Red paint
- Paint brush
- Black fine tip marker
- Paint the top 1/3 of the clothespin red (down to the start of the metal clip). Paint both parts of the top of the clothespin.
- Paint the bottom of the clothespin white, up to just below where the metal clip in the center starts.
- Once the paint has dried draw Santa’s nose and mouth in the center of the clothespin with the black marker.
- Tear off a small piece of the cotton ball and glue it to the top of the clothespin for the white ball on the tip of Santa’s hat.
- Tear off another small piece of cotton ball and roll it between your fingers to make a thin band of cotton. Glue the band at the line between where the clothes pin is painted red, and where it is not painted to make Santa’s hat band.
- Use another larger piece of cotton for Santa’s beard. Glue it at the top of the white paint.
- Tie or tape a piece of twine or string across a fireplace mantle or a door. You can attach the string to the fireplace mantle or door with fine nails, tape, or Micro Utility Hooks.
- Clip your artwork, or holiday cards to the string with the Santa clothespin clips.
These are also cute clipped onto the outside of a Christmas present, or clipped to your Christmas tree as an ornament.