My son and I made this pine cone topiary a while back. It was easy to make, and it would be fun to give as a Christmas gift so I thought I’d share the easy how to instructions here.
What you’ll need:
- A large pine cone
- A 5-6″” sturdy stick
- Floral foam (like you use for flower decorating)
- A 6″ flower pot
- Sphagnum moss
- A hot glue gun
- Let the kids paint or decorate the flower pot with paint, or glitter, then set it aside to dry.
- While the flower pot is drying have an adult or older child use the hot glue gun to glue the pine cone to one end of the stick.
- Have an adult help trim the floral foam to fit inside the flower pot.
- Let your kids gently the other end of the stick (the end without the pine cone) into the floral foam (you can put a little hot glue on that end to help hold the topiary in place.
- Let the kids lightly place sphagnum moss around the top of the flower pot to hide the mechanics.
You can frost, paint, or add glitter to your pine cone or flower pot to add some extra bling.
This makes a great decoration for your fireplace mantle paired with a pine cone garland, and your Christmas stockings of course.