Christmas ornaments make wonderful gifts for grandmas and grandpas. This easy clothespin Santa ornament craft would look really cute attached to the wrapping of a Christmas present, or hanging from the Christmas tree.
The clothespins Santas can also be used with a piece of clothes line to hold stockings or Christmas cards along the front of your fireplace mantle.
- Red felt
- White felt
- Red metallic (or regular red pipe cleaner
- Small red Ribbon
- Cotton ball
- Craft glue or hot glue gun
- Red craft paint
- Black craft paint
- Paint brush
- Black fine tip marker
- Santa hat, coat and hat band patterns (click to view/ print)
1. Paint the top 2/3 of the clothespin red for Santa’s pants, except for the ball on the very top of the clothespin.
2. Paint the bottom 1/3 of the clothespin black for Santa’s boots.
3. Print out the pattern for Santa’s hat, coat and hat band, and cut them out.
4. Let the kids trace the hat and coat patterns onto the red felt with a fine felt tip black marker, then let the older kids cut them out. Don’t forget to cut two small slits where marked toward the top of the coat for the arms to come through.
5. Trace the hat band onto a piece of white felt with a fine tip black marker, and cut it out.
6. Cut a piece about 6 inches long from the pipe cleaner, and let the kids wrap it one time around the top of the clothespin where the clothespin meets the ball on top, make the two ends sticking out the same length, this will be Santa’s arms.
7. Put the coat on and pull the arms out through the slits in the side of the coat. Bring the two sides of the coat together in the back, and glue them together. You can use craft glue and set the Santa aside to dry, or have an adult use a hot glue gun to glue the seams together.
8. Fold the hat around and run another line of glue (craft or hot glue) down the back of the hat to hold it in place. Put a little glue on the top of the clothespin, and set the hat in place on top of Santa’s head.
9. Glue the white strip of felt in place at the base of the hat for a white band.
10. Optional: Glue a piece of ribbon to the back of the hat to hang Santa from the tree. You can also use the clothespin to fasten him onto the tree.
Add your clothespin Santa ornament craft to your tree or give it as a fun homemade gift.
Make this clothespin ornament in green and leave off the beard and you’ll have one of Santa’s elves.
Looking for more Christmas ornament crafts? Check out this Pine Cone Reindeer Craft