Sometimes the best crafts are made from the simplest materials. If you are looking for a holiday craft that is fun and frugal, take a peek at this puzzle piece Christmas tree ornament craft idea. In just minutes and with just a few simple supplies, you can make one of your very own. Great for doing with your children, classroom, or even on a fun craft night with friends, these ornaments are a great way to repurpose old puzzle pieces into something festive. Take a look!
- Puzzle pieces
- Green and yellow craft paint
- Paint brush
- Hot glue, glue gun
If you don’t have any puzzle pieces around, you can always grab a puzzle at your local dollar store or thrift store. This is an easy and inexpensive way to get all of the pieces you may need.
1. Begin by making a layer of puzzle pieces either directly in their box or on an old piece of newspaper.
2. Apply a coat of green craft paint. Allow about 20 minutes for the paint to dry and apply a second layer.
3. When your green paint is dry, you can start creating your tree. Start at the base and make a horizontal row of puzzle pieces. Slightly overlap them, applying glue at the spots where the pieces overlap. You essentially want to create a strip of pieces that are firmly attached.
4. Now build your way up. Continue gluing on puzzle pieces working into a tapered shape like a tree is. A small dab of glue on the back of your puzzle piece is all you need to attach one piece to the next.
5. When you reach the top of your tree, turn a puzzle piece vertically to create the point.
6. Once your tree is glued together, you can create the lights on it. Do this by dipping a q-tip in yellow paint and making dots along the tree.
7. To finish, glue a piece of ribbon to the back of the tree. Tie the ribbon into a ribbon and hang.
That’s all there is to creating your very own puzzle piece Christmas tree ornament craft. It is such a fun way to give puzzle pieces new life, and it is a holiday craft that is just as frugal as it is fun!