Your kids will have fun helping you make this New Year’s Eve hat cake for your New Year’s Eve celebration! The hat cake is super easy to create using a simple rectangle cake, a serrated knife, and some fun colored buttercream icing. You can also add sprinkles, gold edible glitter and fondant spirals and curls to give it a party hat feel.
New Year’s Eve Hat Cake
- 1 ½ cake mix
- 9 x 13 cake pan
- No stick cooking spray with flour
- White gumpaste (golf ball size)
- White fondant (golf ball size)
- Decorator icing
- Paper towel
- Turquoise blue food color
- Royal blue food color
- Purple food color
- Edible gold glitter
- Fondant roller, or regular rolling pin
- Blue, purple, and green sprinkles
- Cake board (larger than 9”x13”)
- Decorative foil
1. Bake the cake using one and one-half cake mixes, in a 9×13 inch cake pan, according to the package or mix directions. (Use the extra cake mix to make a few cupcakes)
2. Once the cake is baked, set it aside to cool completely.
3. While the cake is baking and cooling, combine the fondant and the gum paste, and combine them together. Once they’re combined divide them into two pieces. Use the purple food color to make one piece of fondant purple. Use the blue food color to make the second piece blue.
4. Roll the purple fondant-gumpaste ball out with the fondant roller, or rolling pin. Use a little shortening to keep the fondant from sticking.
5. Have an adult use a knife to cut the rolled fondant into thin ¼ inch strips.
6. Wrap the strips around a pen or pencil to make curls, then let them dry.
7. Roll the blue fondant with the fondant roller. Use a little shortening to keep the fondant from sticking.
8. Print the spiral pattern, and cut it out. Lay it over the fondant and have an adult use a knife to cut the pattern out of the fondant. Move the pattern and repeat the process 2 more times.
9. When the cake is completely cool level off the top of the cake with a serrated knife.
10. Cover a large cake board with decorative foil.
11. Put the cake on the board, cut side down.
12. Use a serrated knife to cut the cake from the center top, to the corner of the base, so the finished cake is shaped like a party hat (see photo).
13. Color the decorator icing turquoise blue.
14. Ice the cake with a thin layer of the turquoise blue icing to seal in the crumbs.
15. Let the icing dry for several minutes, and add a second layer of icing.
16. After the icing has several more minutes to dry use a paper towel to flatten the seams and creases in the icing. Lay the paper towel over the cake and rub across it gently to smooth the icing.
17. Place the spirals on the top of the cake.
18. Arrange the curls on top of and around the cake.
19. Sprinkle the cake with the edible gold glitter. Sprinkle the glitter heavier at the base to make the hat brim.
20. Place the sprinkles around the cake for confetti.
You can bake a second cake, and make this a two layer cake if you have several guests at your New Year’s Eve party.