I have a fun kid’s homemade Valentine idea to share with you today. I’ve been fascinated with burlap lately. A couple weeks ago I created the burlap bulletin board for my niece, today I have a cute little handmade stitched burlap heart pillow to send a message to your special Valentine!
Check it out!
Here’s I made it:
Stitched Burlap Heart Pillow
- scrap piece of burlap
- scrap piece of red or pink felt
- pink or red embroidery thread
- small handful of fiber fill
- embroidery needle
- 2 heart cookie cutters or scrapbook template to trace around (one about 1 inch smaller than the other)
Materials for the card:
- Scrap pieces of pink red and purple card stock in at least 2 shades
- Black fine tip marker
- Small (about 1 inch) heart template
- Glue stick
1. Use the cookie cutter or heart template to trace around on the burlap. If you make the burlap 2 layers thick you can cut out both hearts at one time.
2. Lay a smaller heart cookie cutter or template on the felt, and trace around it. Again, if you make it two layers thick you will only have to cut once.
3. Thread the embroidery needle with your choice of embroidery thread and stitch the 2 felt hearts onto the two burlap hearts.
Knot one end of the thread and put the needle up from the back to start so your knot will be hidden. On the heart you want to be on the front, don’t stitch the top of the heart. Leave an opening for the Valentine’s Day card. You can stitch all the way around the other heart. This is a great job for the kids, and a great way to let them learn a little about sewing by hand. Make the stitches about 1/4 inch wide.
4. Stitch the two burlap hearts together, the same way, with the felt hearts on the outside. Leave a small opening and insert your fiberfill before you stitch the rest of the way.
5. Make a card with a message to our Valentine. Use a couple pieces of card stock to make the card, cut one a little smaller than the other so it makes a frame. You can use any straight edge cutter like the X-ACTO Rotary Cutter pictured here, or you can also use your scissors if that’s what you have.
6. If you have a small template you can make a little heart from scrapbook paper for your card, or make one freehand if you’re feeling creative.
7. Glue the two layers of card stock, with one showing as a border around the other, and the heart together.
8. Write your message on the card with a journaling pen, or an extra fine tip marker.
Just insert your card into the heart pillow and you’re ready to go! This would make a fun Valentine’s Day card and card holder for a special friend, a grandparent, or to brighten the day of someone who is in the hospital.
You can find more Valentine’s Day and other craft ideas in our craft section.