It’s always been a challenge to get my son to eat his vegetables! There are a few he’ll eat, but others his eyes decide he doesn’t like before he even gets to taste them! He does love pasta dishes like spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, and lasagna.
One of my favorite recipes to swap out that pasta with veggies is zucchini lasagna. I just made it the other night for my family. While it’s not as big of a hit as regular lasagna, it does pass their judgement, and it’s a great way to get my son to eat some vegetables.
Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
- 3-4 small to medium zucchini-sliced thing length wise
- 30 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 container cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1- 8 oz container button mushrooms-sliced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
1. Preheat the oven to 350`F.
2. Brown the ground beef, and drain.
3. Toss in the garlic, onions and mushrooms. Toss them with the ground beef.
4. Add the oregano, basil, and tomato sauce and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. In a casserole dish add in layers the meat sauce, zucchini, cottage or ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers 2-3 times.
6. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake at 350`F for about 50 minutes to one hour.
Give this recipe a try with your own family, and let me know how it goes! It’s a new twist on a family favorite, so kids may be more willing to give it a try. This recipe works just as well with yellow squash, or a mix of yellow squash and zucchini if you prefer. I’ve also used lean ground turkey instead of ground beef in this recipe.
Since this recipe doesn’t include pasta it doesn’t soak up as much moisture as regular lasagna. Simmering the sauce down can help to keep the zucchini lasagna from having too much liquid when it’s done baking.
This recipe is part of a weekly food challenge. This week’s ingredient was squash. You can check out more great recipes below.
So creative! I wish I had seen this last year when I was overrun by zucchini.
I. WANT. NOW! Seriously – looks extremely delicious – pinning for the summer season!
I wonder if my kids would eat this? Trying to sneak in veggies when I can.
It’s seriously looks better then regular lasagne! If we weren’t allergic to tomato I would totally make it. Pinning now!
Love this food challenge! This recipe looks so good…pinned for later.
I love anything with zucchini! This looks so so good!
Oh my! This looks so good, and I could totally fool the kids into eating some extra veggies with this.
Looks so good! I’m going to make it this summer when the zucchini starts to grow out of control!
I never thought to make the lasagna with zucchini! That looks delicious and very healthy. Thanks for the recipe!
[…] Zucchini Lasagna – The Kid's Fun Review […]
[…] Dinner – Gluten-free Zucchini Lasagna […]
[…] Kid Friendly Zucchini Lasagna. I love recipes like this that are truly kid […]