- Cupcakes! Baked and cooled.
- Your favorite cake decorating icing.
- Blue or Blue-Green card stock
- String or embroidery floss
- Blue sprinkles (optional)
- Start by cutting out some tiny little fishes from card stock. You can make a pattern, then trace around it for each fish, but I just cut them freehand, so each fish is a little different. Make the fish about 1/2″ long. One fish for each cupcake. I used blue card stock, but if I made them again I would make some with a blue-green card stock so they’d show up better on the cupcakes.
- Draw tiny mouths and eyes on your fish with a fine point marker.
- To make the fishing pole, cut a small piece of string (about 1/2 to 1″ long), and glue the tip of the string to the tip of a toothpick. All you need is a tiny dot of glue.
- Glue the other end of the string to your fishes mouth. Then set the whole thing aside to dry.
- Make your cupcakes from your favorite recipe, or box mix, then let them cool.
- Use your favorite cake decorating icing, and ice the cupcakes. I used a Wilton star tip to swirl around the cupcakes and make a little blue wave, but you can just ice them the old fashioned way.
- Add some blue sprinkles, just for extra bling.
- Insert the bottom of the toothpick into the cupcake and you’re done!
These would be fun and simple for a birthday party, or let the kids help you make them for dad on Father’s Day! The kids all loved the little fishes and poles, and took them home to save for later.