Pinwheels aren’t just for summer! They can also make a fun and festive holiday decoration if you make them from red construction paper they can look just like the beautiful Christmas poinsettia. This Poinsettia Pinwheel Craft is a fun craft for a group of kids at a Christmas party, or just to make for fun. They can be used for Christmas ornaments on your tree, to decorate for a party, add them to a gift bag or wrapped present for a handmade touch.
Poinsettia Pinwheel Craft
- 9×9 or 8×8 square of red construction paper
- small scrap of yellow construction paper
- scrap piece of green construction paper
- Stapler or glue stick
1.Use the pencil to draw a straight line from corner to corner on the construction paper, it should make an x through the center when you’re done (see photo below).
2. Draw a small hash mark on each line half way between the corner and the center of the pinwheel. This will be your cut line, you’ll only cut the paper from the corner to this line.
3. Optional: Punch a hole about 1/2 inch in and 1 inch to the left of each corner (see photo above). You can also just staple each corner to the center, or glue it.
3. Cut the paper along the line from the corner toward the center of the paper to the hash line half way to the center.
6. Fold the corners with the holes punched in them toward the center of the pinwheel, then glue them or staple them in place.
7. Cut a small circle from the yellow construction paper (about 1/2 inch diameter). Glue the small circle to the center of the flower pinwheel.
8. Cut out one or two leaves from the green construction paper, and glue them so they’re peaking out from behind the pinwheels.
This poinsettia pinwheel craft would also make a great school Christmas craft or handmade gift for grandma and grandpa. You could even replace the yellow center with a small keepsake photo.