These cookies made from cashew butter and a careful balance of fats and sugars have a tender –yet crisp– texture, and a flavor that will make you reach for another…and another.
Whether you’re a nibbler or a dunker, Cashew Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect indulgence for an afternoon break or bedtime snack. The rich cashew butter is combined with vanilla and chocolate, and has a more subtle flavor than peanut butter cookies. For an attractive touch, top them with chopped cashews before baking to emphasize the cashew flavor.
You may use purchased cashew butter, but for a less expensive option, try making your own!
Cashew Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Homemade Cashew Butter Recipe
- 10 ounces roasted cashews halves and pieces are fine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt only if unsalted nuts are used
- Cashew Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients:
- Makes 6 dozen cookies
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package 11.5 oz chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)
- Cashew Butter Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process on high for about a minute, or until the mixture comes together in a ball. The cashew butter does not have to be perfectly smooth for these cookies; a few small crunchy bits are fine.
- Cashew Cookie Instructions:
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the cashew butter, butter, shortening, brown sugar, and white sugar until light.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and milk. Beat well.
- Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Form dough into balls using rounded tablespoons of dough, and press with a fork to flatten. Sprinkle with cashews if desired, pressing them gently into the dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.