I can’t believe summer is almost here! My son is out of school in just a couple weeks, so I’ve been looking for some kids summer outdoor fun ideas. Summer always seems to fly by so fast once it hits, so we’ve been trying to plan our summer fun strategy. I want to keep him off the video games and get him out of the house!
1. One of our favorite summer outdoor activities is swimming! My brother in law has a pool, so we head over there at least once a week. Our family also has a cabin at the lake we try to head to as often as we can on the weekends. Just make sure the kids are well supervised, and you use sunscreen if your in the sun too long. Don’t forget to build a sand castle, or two, or three, while you’re there!
2. We also have a campfire most Friday and Saturday nights, and cook s’mores, hotdogs, corn on the cob and campfire pies, over the open fire.
3. Better yet invite some friends over, throw a tent up, and have a camp out in the back yard! Some of our best family memories are camping out and hanging out around the fire!
4. One of my favorite kids summer outdoor fun ideas is to just get creative! Let your kids find things in the back yard to create with, it can be items for nature, or some trash you find along the way. See what you can come up with. You don’t have to spend a ton of money to keep the kids entertained. Challenge them to see what they can do with some sticks, pine cones, rocks, or an old cup. My nieces and nephew made a little boat out of some items they found, and floated it on their grandma’s fish pond.
5. Play some fun games, like duck duck splash, or set up a water obstacle course for kids, get some friends together for your kids summer outdoor fun!
6. Plan a summer scavenger hunt to find different bugs, plants, or tree leaves in the back yard.
7. Head for the zoo, to spend the day outdoors, and let the kids learn a little about the animals around them at the same time.
8. Go fishing! My son and all my nephews love to fish! We started them as soon as they could hold the pole. Just watch out for those flying hooks! Of course I’m not going to tell you they were really focused at it when they were younger. They used to spend more time in the bottom of the boat playing with the bait than they did fishing!
9. Get them out in the garden! My son used to make whole cities in the corner of our garden, and he also found plenty of bugs to keep him occupied. I think earthworms were the main residents of his garden cities. He also did a fairly good job helping me water and weed when he was in the mood.
10. It’s your turn! Share your favorite kids summer outdoor ideas! Leave me a comment and let me know your family favorites!
All images property of Kid’s Fun Review, re-use with proper credit and link back this post only.
Take the kids to a public playground. They will meet new friends and when they have worked up an appetite finish up with an ice cream at the local shop!