I have a super simple spring cupcake idea for you. It’s also a really great way to use up some of those extra jelly beans you get for Easter this year.
What’s more fun than brightly colored jelly bean flowers on top of your cupcakes?
Jelly Bean Spring Flower Cupcakes
- Jelly beans
- Green Fondant (or white fondant and green food color)
- Leaf fondant cutter
- Green food color
- Wilton tip #233
- Decorator bag
- Buttercream icing
1. A day before you’re going to make your Jelly bean flower cupcakes, paint several toothpicks with green food color and set them aside to dry. You’ll need about 3 toothpicks for each cupcake you plan to make.
2. Bake your cupcakes according to your recipe or mix directions and set them aside to cool.
3. While your cupcakes are baking and cooling, color a piece of fondant green, by dipping an end of a toothpick into the green food color then touching it to the fondant. Work the green food color into the fondant by pulling and stretching the fondant with your hands until the color is worked through.
4. Roll the fondant with a fondant roller, on wax paper or a plastic mat until the fondant is about 1/8″ thick. Use the leaf cutter to cut out the leaves. You’ll need about 6 for each cupcake (2 for each jelly bean flower).
5. Wrap the base of the leaf around the green toothpicks. Wrap one or two leaves around each toothpick, then have an adult carefully push a jellybean onto the end of the toothpick. Do this carefully, and don’t push too hard.
6. Lay your jelly bean flowers aside to dry for a couple minutes while you ice the cupcakes.
7. Ice the cupcakes using a Wilton #233 decorating tip and a pastry bag, with some green decorator icing. If your icing is white, tint it green with a little food coloring.
8. Put the tip inside the pastry bag so the end is sticking out the bottom of the bag, then add the icing.
9. Hold the tip just above the top of the cupcake and gently squeeze the bag. When the icing starts to come out raise the tip slightly, then release the pressure and lift the tip away. Move over just a little and repeat the process until the top of your cupcake looks like a field of grass.
10. Carefully insert three jelly bean flowers into the cupcake and you’re finished.