I have a really fun late summer treat for you today, courtesy of one of my favorite cereals, Rice Krispies. Don’t tell the kids, but it’s healthy too!
You can make these ahead of time for a late summer or fall birthday party. They would also make a fun after school snack!
Snap!™ Crackle!™ Pop!™ Candy-Coated Bananas
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 4 medium bananas, peeled and halved horizontally
- 2 1/2 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal (crushed to 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried fruits or flaked coconut
- 1 package (16 oz.) vanilla-flavored candy coating or vanilla-almond bark
- 8 ice cream sticks
How to make them:
- Place banana pieces on foil-lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until needed.
- In shallow dish combine KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal and fruit. Set aside.
- With adult help, in small saucepan melt candy coating according to package directions. Remove from heat. Pour into another shallow dish.
- Remove bananas from freezer and insert an ice-cream stick into cut end of each banana piece. Dip banana halves into melted candy coating, letting excess drip off. Roll in cereal mixture until evenly coated. Return to baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes. Transfer to airtight container. Freeze for 2 hours to 1 week. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Kid-friendly Kitchen Tips courtesy of Kelloggs:
Children of all ages should have an adult assistant with them at all times when cooking.
- The youngest chefs, 3 to 6 years old, will be very good at inserting the ice cream stick into the banana halves and they will love to crush the Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal.
- Older chefs, ages 7 to 9, can use a table knife to cut the banana in half and they will enjoy “dipping” the bananas into the melted candy coating too.
- Kids, older than 9 years, may stir the candy coating on the cook top or help prepare it for the microwave and may also help read directions to the younger kids.