Conversation heart candies are a Valentine’s Day staple, so I thought it would be fun to create a trio of conversation hearts mini cakes. These would be fun for a Valentine’s Day party, a school party, or just because! They were super easy to make, and since I’m not the best at piping they will probably turn out better when you make them yourself!
Conversation Hearts Mini Cakes Recipe
** Some links may be affiliate links, which means I may make a small commission if you make a purchase. I only recommend products I use.
- Basic Vanilla cake recipe or a box mix and the ingredients to make it
- 2 batches of my favorite butter cream icing
- pink food color
- blue food color
- turquoise food color
- red food color
- 11 by 13 or larger cake board (cardboard)
- decorative foil wrap
- round piping tip
- pastry bag
- 5- 6 inch heart cake pan
1. Mix up the cake and bake it according to the package or mix directions, usually at 350`F for about 20 to 25 minutes for a small pan. One cake mix should make about 3 mini conversation heart cakes.
2. Once the cakes are baked, turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool.
3. While the cakes are cooling mix up the icing. Color about 1/2 cup of icing red. Divide the rest of the icing into 3 equal parts. Color 1/3 of the icing pink, 1/3 of the icing blue, 1/3 of the icing turquoise. You’re creating pastel colors for your conversation heart cakes, so only add a drop or two of icing (except the red). Mix it up and check your color, before adding another drop or two if you need to.
4. Cover the cardboard with the decorative foil.
5. Once the cakes are cool level the tops with a serrated knife.
6. Put a 3 small dollops of icing on the cake board where you’d like to place the heart cakes, then place the cakes in place over the icing with the cut side down.
7. Ice the cakes, one with pink icing, one with blue, and one with turquoise.
8. Let the cakes sit for 20 to 30 minutes to let the icing “dry.” Carefully use a piece of wax paper to smooth the icing.
9. Clean the extra icing off of the cake board with a damp rag.
10. Add the piping tip to the end of the pastry bag and fill it with the red icing. Pipe conversation heart messages on your conversation hearts mini cakes like, “Love,” “Hugs,” or “Be Mine.”
Each cake should serve 3 to 4 people. Don’t forget to Pin this for later!
Looking for more Valentine’s Day ideas? Check out these Valentine’s Day Printable Conversation Heart Cupcake Toppers: