I was trying to think of a prank I could pull on my son this year for April Fool’s Day, all I kept thinking about was something to do with fake food. Maybe I was hungry, who knows? My husband suggested that no bake cookies look a little like meatballs, and the idea for an April Fools fake food meatball sandwich was born.
If you want to pull an April Fool’s Day prank on your family, give these April Fools fake food meatball sandwiches a try. Your family will expect a savory meatball sub with marinara sauce, and cheese. What they’ll really get is a sweet dessert with a cake bun, no bake cookie meatballs, strawberry sauce, and shredded white chocolate for cheese.
April Fools Fake Food Meatball Sub Sandwich
Ingredients For Fake Meatball Sandwiches:
- No Bake Cookies, or the ingredients for the No Bake cookie recipe below
- A white cake mix
- Mini loaf pan
- Strawberry preserves
- 1/8 cup white chocolate-shredded
The recipe below will make enough no bake cookies for 8 to 10 fake meatball sandwiches.
No Bake Cookie Recipe
- 4 cups oatmeal
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup butter
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup sugar
1. Mix the butter, milk, sugar, and cocoa powder together in a sauce pan over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
2. Once the mixture is boiling, let it cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
3. Turn off the heat and stir in the peanut butter and the oats.
4. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper.
5. After the cookies have cooled for a couple minutes, shape them into balls with your hands. You may have to reshape them more than once while they’re cooling, but they will start to hold their shape as they cool.
To assemble each fake meatball sandwich:
1. Make the cake mix according to the package directions. Then pour the batter into mini loaf pans, fill each pan about 1/3 full, and bake according to the directions.
2. Remove the mini loaves from their pan by turning them upside down and shaking them gently onto a cooling rack.
Once they’ve cooled, cut the loaves through the middle horizontally. Pull the pull them apart gently where at the cut, and insert 3 or 4 of the no bake cookie “meatballs.”
3. Spoon the strawberry sauce over and around the “meatballs” to look like spaghetti sauce. Strawberry ice cream topping works very well. You can also use strawberry preserves, just thin them with a little water or fruit juice.
4. Shred about 1/8 of a cup of white chocolate with a cheese shredder. Sprinkle the shredded white chocolate “cheese” over the top of your sandwich.
5. Serve your fake meatball sandwich to your family as an April Fool;s joke. After the prank you can slice up the subs and serve everyone a piece for a sweet dessert.
If you don’t have mini loaf pans, use a regular size loaf pan, and slice the loaf shaped cake like bread for your meatball sandwich.