It’s football season! Around our house it means it’s time for some fun football food! I made this football cheesy bread with avocado salsa last year for a recipe contest I was in, but I just realize I’ve never posted it here! I have a football shaped cake pan, but you could get the same idea from an oval shaped pan, or even a rectangle pan, then round off the edges. This is the perfect recipe for a football party, or just for a special treat at game time on the weekends. It’s not hard to make, just mix up the bread and pop it in the oven, then chop up your salsa while you wait.
Cheesy Bread Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350`F.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, cumin, and chili powder.
3. Add in the egg, milk, and butter. Mix until all the ingredients are moist.
4. Fold in the cheese, save a sprinkle to put on top.
5. Pour the bread mixture into a greased and floured bread pan, or football cake pan if you want to make a football shaped bread.
6. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and bake for about 30 minutes.
7. Once the bread is baked, turn it out onto a cooling rack to cool.
8. Once the bread has cooled use a spoon to scoop out the center of the bread, then chop the pieces you scooped out into bite size chunks, and place them around the outside of the bread on a platter, with some corn chips.
Avocado Salsa Ingredients:
- 2 avocados chopped
- 1 container cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- the juice of 1 lime
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small red onion chopped
- squirtable sour cream
1. Chop up all the ingredients, and squeeze the juice over the top, and mix together.
2. Put the salsa into the center of the bread, and use the sour cream to draw the threads on the top of the salsa to make the football.
I’ll be back with more game time recipes over the next few weeks!