We’ve been trying to eat a little healthier for a while now, so I decided this year my game day recipes would have a healthier twist to them, including a gluten free pizza stuffed mushroom appetizer recipe.
The Big Game is always an event at our house, we never know exactly who will be there so I always try to be prepared.
We love pizza and chili at our house, but I’ve been gluten free for a while now, so I’ve been trying some new twists on pizza. One of my favorite recipes so far is a pizza stuffed mushroom appetizer. I’ve been tweaking it for a little while now. Here’s my recipe:
Pizza Stuffed Mushroom Appetizer
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 1 16 oz light cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large containers of stuffing size mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 bell pepper chopped (optional)
1. Brown the turkey sausage according to the package directions, add in the chopped onion and garlic while you’re browning the meat.
2. Preheat the oven to 350`F.
3. While the sausage is cooking hollow out the centers of your mushrooms. Reserve the centers for the turkey chili, or for later.
4. Once the sausage is thoroughly cooked remove it from the heat and add in the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, bell pepper (optional), oregano, basil and the tomato sauce.
5. Mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
6. Stuff the sausage mixture into the hollowed out mushroom caps and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake the stuffed mushrooms in a shallow baking dish for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
While you’re making the mushrooms you can also whip up a quick and easy pot of no bean turkey chili.
No Bean Turkey Chili
- 1 lb ground lean turkey
- 1 – 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1-quart water
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa or Picante sauce
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- mushrooms 1 pack or the centers from the stuffed mushroom recipe above
1. Brown the turkey with the onion and the garlic.
2. In a large stock pot combine the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, salsa, cumin, chili sauce, and mushrooms.
3. Add the browned turkey to the stockpot and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Serve your no bean turkey chili to your guests with shredded cheddar cheese, light sour cream, corn chips, or crackers available for topping.
I served up my lightened up game day recipes to our guests, and no one knew the difference. In fact, both recipes were a big hit!
Looking for more kid friendly appetizer recipes? Check out these Mini Taco Bites.