When the weather gets hotter, cold desserts are always even more delicious! Add in chocolate and you’ve definitely got a hit at any summer picnic or BBQ. This no-bake pie is a lighter, fluffier version of chocolate cheesecake, and can be eaten cold or frozen. So you can throw it in the cooler and take it along if your summer party isn’t in the back yard.
Dark chocolate wafer cookies create a rich, slightly sweet crust. The filling is made with cream cheese and real whipping cream for a smooth, naturally creamy flavor. You may also want to make this recipe using small individual serving dishes for ease of serving.
No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake Pie Recipe
- 2 1/3 cups crushed dark chocolate cookies*
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- *Chocolate wafers or dark chocolate sandwich cookies with the cream removed
- 2 8- ounce packages cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream divided
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional: choice of melted dark chocolate sprinkles, whipped cream for decorating
- Combine crushed chocolate cookies with melted butter and sugar. Stir well to make sure butter is evenly absorbed. Spoon into deep dish pie pan and press firmly over the entire surface, using a measuring cup to press the bottom flat. Place crust in the freezer while you are preparing the pie filling.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and beat well.
- Add vanilla, 1 tablespoon cream, and cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whip 1 cup cream until thick. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and beat until it is fairly stiff and holds its shape.
- Fold whipping cream into creamed cheese mixture. It will be difficult at first because the creamed cheese mixture is thick, but don’t stir – just keep folding until it is well blended. Remove pie crust from the freezer. Fill with cheesecake filling. If you plan to decorate the top with melted chocolate cornelli designs (the chocolate squiggles) smooth the top as much as possible with a flat spatula. If you will be using sprinkles or leaving the pie plain, swirl the mixture on top.
- Add decorations. For cornelli lace, melt a small amount of dark chocolate in the microwave at 15 second intervals. Spoon into a piping bag with a small writing tip and freehand the design in one continuous curvy line, trying not to let the lines touch anywhere.
- Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Pipe with whipped cream if desired. Or…use chocolate whipped cream!
Chocolate Whipped Cream Recipe
- 2 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate, chopped fine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a small bowl or ramekin, melt the chocolate in the microwave at 15 second intervals. Allow to cool until just warm but still liquid.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the cream until thick. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until it is fairly stiff and holds its shape.
3. Spoon approximately 1/3 of the melted chocolate into the whipped cream at a time, beating briefly after each addition – just enough to combine.
4. Scrape the bowl and whip for just a few seconds more. Pipe around the edge of the pie with a large open star tip. Add a little extra to each piece as it is plated.