A good basic yellow cake recipe is a versatile addition to any home baker’s recipe box. Use this recipe many ways, dress it up or dress it down. There is so much you can do with the basic yellow cake to change it up or adjust the flavor. Add your favorite fillings, and toppings, or bake it into fun cupcakes for your next birthday party or celebration.
Basic Yellow Cake Recipe
• 2 ½ cups sugar
• 4 eggs
• 3 cups cake flour (sifted)
• 2 cups milk
• 1 cup salted butter (room temperature)
• 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon vanilla (or other flavoring)
• No stick cooking spray with flour, or parchment paper for the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking
1. Preheat the oven to 350`F.
2. Measure and sift together the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl, then set them aside.
3. Cream together the sugar and butter, in a large mixing bowl, then add the eggs to the mixture one at a time, and mix in the vanilla.
4. Once the sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla are all blended together, slowly begin adding the sifted flour mixture and the milk. Mix at low speed alternating from one to the other until both are fully incorporated into the mix.
5. Spray your baking pans with a no stick cooking spray with flour in it, or use a sheet of wax paper on the bottom of the pan to keep the cake from sticking once it’s baked. Don’t forget to spray the sides of the pan.
6. Slide the pans into the preheated oven, and set the timer for about 30 minutes for 2- 9” round or square cakes, 1-9×13 cake may take a few minutes longer.
7. Check the cake by inserting a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean when the timer goes off.
8. Once the cake is done baking, remove it from the oven, and let it cool for a few minutes in the pan. Gently turn it out onto a cooling rack. Keep the cake from cracking when you take it out of the pan, by putting the cooling rack upside down on top of the cake, then flip the whole thing over together, while you hold the cake and rack securely together.
9. Let the cake cool then level the top with a serrated knife, and add your favorite icing or filling.
Cake Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Cooling time: about 40 minutes
Total time 1 hour 45 minutes
Use regular flour in the basic yellow cake recipe, instead of cake flour, but the finished cake texture will be a little coarser. The flavor will still be great.
Recipe makes 2- 9×9 round cakes, 2 8×8 square cakes, 1- 9×13 cake, or 24 to 36 cupcakes.